Setting the Stage

What's going on peoples?

As this is my first post, I feel it's only right to tell you all who I am, what this is all about, and what you can expect to read about as this blog continues.

I've been involved in music, in some form or fashion, since the late 80's. As a kid, I used to love messing around with the piano (without lessons) for fun. Elementary school band intro'd me to the clarinet. Then in the early 90's my math tutor (DJ C-Note, Grand Groove, Cerritos All-Stars), of all people, got me started DJ'ing. In some time, I began competitive DJ'ing, ultimately leading me to the prestigious ITF and DMC competitions and earning both ITF West Coast Champ and DMC US 2nd Runner-up marks in 2000. Since then, I've been staying low-key, getting back to more of the organics. I've taken up playing the guitar, DJ'ing random spots and on livemixshow.com with my crew the Cerritos All-Stars, but most of all, I've been getting into the art of music production.


Roc Raida and Jay Slim in the documentary "Scratch"


I have to thank Sprint for making horrible ringtone renditions of popular songs back around 2002 or so. Not even joking, without that, I probably wouldn't have ever gotten into producing. Back then, cel phones didn't have the ability to just play back actual songs as ringtones, so phone companies started composing their own computer music ring tones to sound like the hot songs at the time. It used to always piss me off though cuz they were always made wrong, so one day I said F' it and just decided to make them the right way on my own. Then I asked myself, why not try to make your own.

Since then, all through learning-by-doing, I've been honing my craft, learning about all the different ins and outs that go into making a complete composition, from harmonies, to instrumentation, to sound augmentation. I've been doing this casually, but now I'm ready to get serious. I really want to master this craft and get to the point where my music is heard by people around the world

As this blog goes on, I'll be sharing with you guys my experiences on honing my craft, gaining exposure, and hopefully landing placement with a major artist. I'll be sharing my music with you all along the way. Stay tuned...

0 comments:

Post a Comment